Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Wish flag exchange


Deadline to send me your flags extended to April 15, 2016.
Wish flags are similar to Tibetan prayer flags. They are small fabric banners with positive uplifting messages written on them. They are meant to be hung outdoors where the messages are shared with the universe as the flags fade and fray over time.

I organized a wish flag exchange with my arty friends several years ago, and the flags that are hanging in my garden are now rather tattered and worn out. I think it is time for a new exchange.

PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to be an artist to join in this exchange. If you would like to spread some good messages around the world you are most welcome.

Here's how it will work. Let me know that you would like to join in, and I'll add your first name (or nickname) to the list below.

Make six fabric banners that measure about 6 inches (15 cm) across and 9 inches (22.5 cm) long.  Sew a channel along the top edge so that your flags can be strung on a string to hang.

The flags can be made out of any fabric, in any colours that you like. They are meant to be semi-permanent and hung outdoors. They do not need to be perfectly finished or elaborately constructed. You can leave the torn raw edges of the flags exposed if you like (just like the Tibetan prayer flags). Each of your flags can be the same, somewhat similar, or each one can be completely different. It is up to you.

Decorate your flags and add a positive message that you would like to share with the universe. You can use any (flat) method you like to add your message. Please do not add buttons, beads or other thick bumpy or 3D elements to your flags (they cause mailing headaches for me and you).

Some ideas: write on light coloured fabric with a permanent marker, use foam alphabet blocks to print with paint or permanent ink, cut out and applique fabric letters.

I respect your beliefs, but please no messages about religious, political, or special interest "causes". (The last time I did this, someone sent in flags with messages about not eating meat!)

Mail your six finished flags to me by March 31st, April 15th, 2016 and I will send you six different flags made by other people. If you can, please include a $5 bill either Canadian or US to help cover the cost of mailing the flags back to you. If you are in another country and would like to join in, no worries, I'll cover the cost of mailing your flags back to you. Also include a label with your name and mailing address. Let me know when your flags are in the mail so that I know to look out for them. Contact me for my mailing address.

Of course, if your flags are ready and you see me before March 31, you can give them to me in person.

So, who wants to play?

1. Me
2. Penelope - received
3. Anne
4. Gwen
5. Rose - received
6. Leslie
7. Mary


4 comments:

  1. I would love to do this! I'm in fabric mode right now, so the timing is perfect! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn, I'd love to play too! Thanks for coordinating this.
    Rose in Point Roberts

    ReplyDelete