Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2016

I've been weaving (and using the internet) for a very long time

I am amazed at what I find when I google my name. Today, I did a search for my name and "weaving", and two posts I wrote back in 1995 came up. Yes, that's right, did you even know there was an internet in 1995, were you even born then? Have you ever heard of usenet?

It's so nostalgic for me to see my very first email addresses, and to see that even so long ago, I was enthusiastic about weaving on a rigid heddle loom.

Here are the two posts that I found
#1
From: Dawn_...@mindlink.bc.ca (Dawn Livera)
Subject: Re: Novice Weaving
Date: 1995/07/29
Message-ID: <75352-807065302@mindlink.bc.ca>#1/1
X-Deja-AN: 107122143
distribution: world
organization: MIND LINK! - British Columbia, Canada
newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Dear new weaver;
Don't get discouraged.  I weave on a rigid heddle loom and I love it. I am
lucky enough to have an excellent teacher who specializes in rigid heddle
weaving though. You are right, weaving classes will help you to get a
better feeling for warping, tension, etc. I'm sorry I missed your previous
posts, but if you have any specific questions about rigid heddle weaving,
I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

BTW:  Two projects I recently finished:  Hand towels made of unmercerized
cotton using patterns from Betty Davenport's book Textures and Patterns for
the Rigid Heddle Loom (out of print) and a rag rug bath mat using old
towels for the rag weft.

Best regards, Dawn

--

==================================
Dawn E. Livera
email: dawn_...@mindlink.bc.ca
or:    dli...@sfu.ca
==================================



#2: This one is from August 1995

I think that people will be very interested in your demo. I once took a 
small band weaving project to my office, to help me explain to them what 
weaving is all about. I found them to be quite fascinated with how 
fabric is woven. I don't think many of them had given much thought to 
how the fabric for their clothes is made.
If you want to do a weaving demonstration, I would suggest that you pick  a project that lets your audience see you changing the sheds etc., so  that non weavers can understand what is going on.  Perhaps use thick  warp and weft yarns with the warp yarns in a different colour for each  shed, so people can see the shed changes.
Before I started weaving, I saw a weaving demonstration in Thailand.  Although I thought the fabric being produced was beautiful, I could not  understand the process. The warp threads were very fine and the sheds  were changed with foot peddles. I just could not figure out how the weft  yarns were being held in place.
I think your company's diversity showcase sounds like a lot of fun. Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment