Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Weaving in Oaxaca, Mexico



It has been a dream of mine for about 20 years to go to Oaxaca, Mexico to weave. Although I love to plan trips, I had no idea how to make this one a reality, until I came across Loom Dancer Weaving Odysseys, a tour company that specializes in weaving trips. They visit all sorts of interesting and exotic locations, including Peru, Oaxaca and Saltspring Island, BC (which is just a 2 hour ferry ride away from where I live).

It was through their website that I learned about SAORI weaving and SAORI Saltspring. I thought about doing the Loom Dancer trip to Saltspring, but I was able to do a workshop with Terri Bibby from SAORI Saltspring here in the Vancouver area. With much trepidation, I signed up for their Oaxaca trip. I wasn't at all sure that I would enjoy a group tour, but the group I traveled with was so lovely, and it really was nice having someone else take care of all the travel details. We spent our days weaving with a family of weavers in the village of Teotitlan del Valle. It was really wonderful to get to know this kind and generous family.

Here's the whole group with the weavings we did: The only man on the tour spent his time doing a wood carving of a coyote.



The weaver's six year old granddaughter did a drawing of "me and my loom, working" in my sketchbook.

Here's one of my own sketches from the trip.

These are some of the photos from the trip that inspired my weaving:

No comments:

Post a Comment