Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Leigh Square Residency week 2


My second week as Artist in Residence at Leigh Square in Port Coquitlam started with a bit of a surprise. I arrived on Wednesday morning to discover that the nice cafe across the street had burned down. I ate lunch there the week before and really enjoyed it. They bake their own bread and make their own soups. I was looking forward to having more lunches there. In addition to the cafe, a few of the neighbouring businesses are also now fenced off. This really is a loss to the community.


Also on Wednesday morning, we had the first of three mini community worshops that I'm offering as part of my residency. This one was on making felt beads. Making felt is such a magical process to me. You start out with loose fluffy stuff, add some moisture and pressure and wind up with a solid object. I had a nice group join me and I enjoyed learning about the interesting classes that are offered at the nearby Wilson Centre. I'm especially interested in their serger class. My mother in law gave me her serger a few years ago. This would be a great way to find out how to use it.


One of the participants brought along an electric needle felter that she bought at Jeffersons. I keep hearing about this sewing supply wholesaler in south Burnaby, and the reasons to go find the place are accumulating. I think you have to spend a minimum of $50 there. I expect I'd have no trouble with that!


I made a sample for next week's mini workshop. I'm calling it "Weaving without a loom". Basically, it is the bottom part of a twined basket technique that I learned from Penelope's friend Terri. We won't have time to do a whole basket, but the flat round piece could make a nice coaster, or pendant or something.


I made some more woven CDs. I'd like to eventually collect hundreds of them, but I don't think I want to weave them all myself. I think this could be a fun thing to do at community events. I'll be trying it out at the Living Room Art in the Heights event on the 15th.



I also set up a loom for the event. We did a community weaving at last year's event, and people seemed to really enjoy it. We'll do another one this year. I tried out the "direct warping" method. It seems like an efficient way to measure out a shortish warp and put it on the loom at the same time. I think this would be a good method to use for workshops - like the one I have on the 15th. (I know, I double booked events for the same day. Not the best plan, but it will all work out.) I don't think I would use it for a long warp though.



 I came across this Salish weaving in the little heritage museum that is in the building where I'm working. Although there are signs describing many of the exhibits, I couldn't find any information about this piece, and there was no one there to ask about it.


A few folks stopped by and added to our community weaving. I must admit this is coming along more slowly than I expected. Quite a few people are reluctant to weave and say they just want to watch me. I think maybe the big floor loom feels intimidating or too complicated for some people .I don't usually have this problem with my rigid heddle loom.




Next week, in addition to the mini workshop on Wednesday morning, there'll also be a reception on Wednesday afternoon 2-4 pm. I hear there will be snacks. Stop by if you are in the neighbourhood.



No comments:

Post a Comment