Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Leigh Square Residency, week 3

This was another productive week. Wednesday morning started with the second of three mini workshops. This one was "Weaving without a loom".

While folks were working on their weaving, I finally finished weaving in the ends on a basket that I made many months ago. I also made a lid. It doesn't fit very well, so I think I'm going to find a way to make it into an attached hinged lid.


I got my display case set up. I'm pretty pleased with how it looks. I have some felted wrist cuffs that are for sale, but most of the pieces are just for display. I become way to attached to my weaving to sell any of it.

Lots of people wove CD's at the Living Room Art in the Heights over the weekend. I've brought them all back to Leigh Square and have them displayed on one of the art pods. I'm going to leave a tray of them and some yarn, with instructions and invite visitors to add to my collection. I want eventually collect hundreds of them and make a huge wall hanging.


There has been more progress on the community weaving. I decided that I would add some bits from all the projects that I complete during my residency to leave a "trace" of my time there.


I finally finished my weaving on the Salish loom. It has been hanging around for a while because I ran out of green yarn. The weaving is done from the top down, and as you can see, I needed a lot of green to finish the bottom. I finally connected with Debra Sparrow at the Dunbar Community Centre and was able to get enough to finish. This weaving is inspired by the view from my bedroom window. I woke up early one morning in August and saw the most glorious daybreak. I promptly went back to sleep, but the image stayed with me and is captured in this weaving.


I made a little sample pouch for the last of my three mini workshops. This one is a little pouch that is woven all in one piece - when it comes off the loom, there is no finishing to be done (other than adding the hanging cord). It's really quite an ingenious design.


 I came across another Salish weaving. This one is in city hall. There is a nice brass plaque that says it was donated by "senior staff". There was no information about the weaving or the weaver though.


As promised, there were snacks on Wednesday afternoon. We also got to enjoy the leftovers on Thursday.


I finished off the last of the student warps that are hanging around. This piece is going to be part of my 2016 weekly project. Last year, I made a little book each week, and this year I have a weekly textile project on the go.

I came across a statue of Terry Fox wearing a spiffy medal. At first I thought it was some sort of yarn bombing, but it turned out to just be a medal. Still, it's nice that someone took the time to place it around his neck.

I'm looking forward to week 4. I'm planning to play around with the backstrap looms that someone gave me, and I have an idea for a "Coquitlam" themed weaving for the Salish loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment