Pages

Friday, October 28, 2016

Living Room Art in the Heights

Living room art in the heights is a lovely community event. Every year, for one night someone from the neighbourhood offers to have their home transformed into an art gallery/performance space. This is my second year participating. Last year my daughter and I took one of our looms and did a community weaving with the attendees.

This year, we exhibted that weaving and made a new one. I also exhibited my Salish weaving. Since it was inspired by the view from my North Burnaby home, it seemed right. I had hoped it wold have been finished, but I like the way it looks on the loom.


 I also added to my collection of woven CDs. Since only one person can weave on the loom at a time, this was a great way to involve more people.

We were set up in the kitchen. At first this seemed like an odd place, but where does everyone end up at any good house party? It was a small area, and it was packed with people all night. It was great to have everyone come to us. One of the things I like about local community event is seeing people who I've met over the years, mainly through the kid's activities, but don't see often anymore. It's nice catching up with their lives.


Some of the other art. Christie Lim's embroidery, Bill Thompson's bird peeking in at us through the window, Sheila Chowhury's forest painting with dragon sculptures - I met the person who made the dragons, but I've forgotten her name (she didn't like it when I called her the "dragon lady" - I thought it was a compliment - you know, like 'nasty woman'), and lastly, Diana Hall's rug - wool crocheted over cotton rag strips and felted. She said it was her own idea. I think it's brilliant.



 Christie's interactive embroidery. She's going to sew the pieces together to display next year. Notice that it's all about perspective. I thought "never forge" was good advice, but an odd choice for an embroidery project, then someone moved the scissors.


No comments:

Post a Comment