Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2016

And it begins

Yesterday was my first official day as Artist in Residence at Leigh Square in Port Coquitlam. I particpated in their Culture Days event. I was one of several artists displaying their work at the event. Lots of lovely folks from the community stopped by to visit. My mom even came by and did a bit of weaving. It was nice to meet the other artists as well. One of them lives in my neighbourhood and is opening a gallery shop/studio nearby next month.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about her plans.

Our community banner is off to a very colourful start. The theme of the banner is "The Gifts of Community". I asked people to write down what they like about their community. Some people wrote their responses on strips of paper that were woven right into the banner, and others used tags. I think I'll tie all the tags to the bottom fringe.

I'll be working out of the "Outlet" at Leigh Square on Wednesdays and Thursdays in October and November. I'm hosting a "Textile Open Studio" on Wednesday mornings (10:30-12:30) - bring your own project and come and keep me company.

I'll also have a small project each week for people to work on if they like. Here's the schedule for October:

October 5 - weaving on CDs (for a community project)
October 12 - felt beads*
October 19 - weaving without a loom*
October 26 - making a woven pouch*
*$5 charge for materials and supplies - you get to keep what you make.



No comments:

Post a Comment